Monday, March 1, 2010

I AM CANADIAN

I looked around at a country I did not recognize. Sure, it was clean and the people were friendly. It was lush and green – plenty of Tim Horton’s…it certainly seemed like Canada. What made it foreign was the overwhelming amount of pride and patriotism that I saw. Canadians have always been proud of their heritage and country, we just do it in a more reserved fashion. I have endured harsh critiques from some of my American friends who have visited Canada and thought that we were not patriotic enough. My stock answer has always been that you don’t need to have a flag hanging outside of every Gap in order to be proud of your country. We know what we’ve got, no need to flaunt it.

Well we seemed to have changed our tune for 2 weeks in February – GO CANADA GO was plastered on everything from store fronts to buses in the city of Vancouver. I did not see one building that did not have a Canadian flag flying somewhere. Kids had drawn maple leaves on the sidewalk in front of their houses. Flags became acceptable to be worn as capes. It’s almost as if we saved up 20 years of patriotism and unleashed it over a 2 week period.

I had the privilege of travelling to Vancouver Canada, my home country and witness history first hand. “The most hospitable Olympics in history”, a statement I couldn’t concur more with. Despite a few initial hiccups which were harshly criticized in the international media, I think VANOC did an unbelievable job. Transportation was extremely well set up. I was always in sight of a volunteer in a teal coat eager to help if needed. The line-ups were quite reasonable – and even became fun as you chatted with people from all over the world. People would cheer after a score was announced by a random passerby. Many chances to enjoy some free hot chocolate certainly made any waiting more bearable. I was in a bar that randomly burst into a rousing round of 'Oh Canada' after the Womens Hockey team won gold. For Canadians – that level of unreserved national enthusiasm is just unheard of.

Those who know me, or have even met me in passing, are well aware of my athletic abilities – I grew up with a wall of participation medals. I have never really been part of a team(and I don't count the years of VP/kids soccer where I was always that kid that ran from the ball…the one that everyone tried desperately NOT to pass to) It will seem very cheesy to those who weren’t there (and maybe even to some that were) but walking through the streets, with everyone was dressed the same from our toques to our sweatshirts to our red mittens - it seemed as if we were all in uniform. Even the athletes on the podium were wearing the same clothes. I was finally part of a team – a winning team that kicked ass I might add! It was a feeling on inclusion that I cannot imagine will ever be duplicated. Thank you Team Canada.

My words will never do justice to what I had the chance to see and be a part of...I think it was actually a Molson Canadian commercial that said it best..."We have more square feet of awesomeness per person then any other nation on earth". Damn right - glad the world stopped by to see for themselves.

2 comments: