Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Cleopatra's cats (posting from the road)

I'll admit I don't know too much about this Egyptian Queen...except she had fantastic taste in honeymoon destinations. I guess it's an easier list to select from when much of the world hasn't been discovered. So, without Bora Bora or Paris on the table, Cleopatra and Mark Anthony elected to spend their post nuptial time in the ancient city of Ephesus, Turkey. And while today it is an impressive city of ruins, I imagine it was quite hopping back in the day.

We had a very lovely tour guide who spent much of her time regaling us of tales from the past while pointing out the cisterns, the public toilets, the impressive library and, most popular in the day, the brothel. (The brothel is actually located directly across from the library - a contrast indeed) Sadly, my attention during this tour was focused on the only modern day occupants of this town - the cats.

Ephesus appears to be home to a large population of homeless cats. It's odd to be staring at a column, marveling how many people through history have walked by and brushed against it, as I am doing now, and look up to see a cat taking a nap. They are the friendliest feral cats however...just want a few pets like most
animals. My doll of a tour director with a heart of gold, Granville, actually carries around a large bag if kibble and puts random scoops out for these hungry guys.

Most interesting is the cats themselves, they have a bit of a different look to them. Some of different shaped eyes and they are a bizarre yellow colour. When I spoke to Granville about it, he solved the mystery in seconds, "do they look Egyptian?"

Instantly I thought back to the drawings I had seen in ancient Egypt and recognized the similarities...quite
bizarre. Well it seems, through some rather expensive genetic (and unnecessary) testing, it had been discovered that the cat I was petting was a direct descendent of the cats belonging to Cleopatra. Known to travel with several cats, at the time they were considered deities of sorts, it seems that upon departure from her honeymoon, Cleopatra left some felines behind.

Ephesus became abandoned over time as the port silted in and the coastline moved several miles away...but the cats remained. And while I know I will be taking away memories and photos from this ancient city...I'll be taking away more than just that...I’ll be taking away fleas...Egyptian Royal Fleas.


No comments:

Post a Comment