Monday, November 11, 2013

I guess Greece makes you want to run...but it might kill you

That makes no sense, I realize that, but for some reason I have run more in the past few weeks then I have in the past 6 months combined. I have run around the Parthenon, through olive groves, along marble roads and once in the moat of a medieval city. I have jogged along the coast of the Aegean Sea and up the side of Mt. Parnassus...always in the company of Greece's large population of stray dogs and cats. Perhaps my motivation is rooted in the history for Greece is the birthplace of the legendary "Marathon".  

A seemingly insurmountable distance to me of 26.2 miles or 42 kilometers, it has haunted me this entire trip. I spent a few days in New York prior to heading to Europe; in fact I left to day before the NY Marathon. This meant a breakfast room full of super fit athletes gobbling up the bananas inadvertently making me feel self conscious. And after a tour around Greece, I arrive back in Athens as the marathon was wrapping up...greeted by another lobby full of athletes, I no longer felt self conscious...instead I felt envy. Not only at their accomplishment but in doing it here in Greece…they ran the marathon along the original historic 26 miles.

The first modern Olympics were held in 1896 and it hosted the first Marathon running race. Only 7 of the entrants finished the distance, and the winner was a Greek. He did it in an impressive time of 2 hr 58 min. It might interest you, as it did me to know how the marathon originated.

The Persians were a ruthless invading army that had demolished much of Greece over the years. As the Persians marched towards Athens, they came across many towns and battled many smaller armies. Often the Greeks knowing they would be defeated, made it their mission to eliminate as many Persians as try could while breaking the spirit of the surviving fighters. And then they reached the town of Marathon...lying 26 miles outside the center of Athens. The battle ensued bit unlike the others, the Greeks were victorious!
So excited to share the news, a young soldier ran the 26 miles into the center of Athens. "Nike!” (Greek for "victory"), he shouted to the waiting crowds - before he dropped dead.

And that remains my permanent excuse for not running that crazy distance...death.


No comments:

Post a Comment