Sunday, June 26, 2016

Your whole world can change in the blink of an eye…

When I landed in Paris on Friday, my biggest worry was that I wouldn't have anything dressy enough to wear to the Christian Constant restaurant that my Dad raved about.  Within hours I was mentally reviewing the pros of sleeping on a bench versus a bush.

The nightmare stared at Charles De Gaulle (CDG) airport.  One minute I was loading my luggage onto the shuttle, next I was frantically searching for my purse...my purse that contained absolutely everything (passport, phone, kindle, all credit cards, bank cards, cash, sunblock, glasses, insurance cards, drivers license etc.)  I had stopped to help a lady and in my exhaustion simply left by bag behind.  It wasn’t some clever multi-person scheme…just fatigue and poor decision making on my part.  The bag was gone. 

The next few minutes were chaotic…lost and found wanted me to stay but one of the other shuttle divers said a black bag had been found on another bus.  With my crappy French I was able to negotiate myself onto the bus and a ride into downtown Paris.  Only to discover…it wasn’t my “sac noir”.  With no options, I walked 3 hours through the streets to my pre-booked hotel.  On the way I was trying to decide if the bush (possibly hidden from other people) would be a better option than a bench (raised off the ground and away from rats).

Fortunately, the desk clerk took pity on me with my pathetic story and tear-stained face and allowed me to check in with a screenshot of a passport and the credit card on file.  I still had my iPad and I was able to get a hold of my pilot brother who tired to wire me money during his layover in Nice.  But without proper ID, Western Union wouldn’t release the funds.  I found 300 AED in my iPad case that Western Union agreed to exchange to euros if I would agree to take my sobbing mess out of their lobby.  This gave me 60 precious euros to survive with until my passport could be replaced, in 5 days.

I have never been in a situation like that before - no money, no ID, only speaking some of the language...and it got me thinking.  The world is in the middle of one of the worse refugee crisis’ of all times.  One day, you are safe at home…next you are fleeing for your life, trying to decide if you should sleep on a bench or the bush.  I can't imagine what the refugees all over Europe go though everyday. The feeling of having nothing and no hope is gut-wrenching - and the whole time I knew my situation was temporary. A few well e-mails and messages and I had people trying to help from all over the world.  I had offers from people to fly to Paris to bring me money.  I had people calling friends and the hotel to try and send me food.  And I was still scared.  I was always going to be ok, I had many places to call home to return to, and I was still scared.  Imagine having no where to go because your homeland is at war.  The feeling that no one wants you and you have nothing - literally nothing.

Today I received an email that my bag had been found. When I picked up my bag at CDG, I heard the whole story…my bag was turned in by the very man who stole it. 

CDG has homeless people. One of them watched me set down my bag to help a lady with her stroller. When I walked away from my forgotten bag he picked it up. Exhausted travellers are not unusual, he ahs done this many times.  He always claims that his friend takes the money…the USD and Euros were gone.  But EVERYTHING else was there…just the cash and a bottle of water were missing. 

I'm not angry. Normally I would be furious - demanding they review security tapes and prosecute the man who robbed me (I've done it before). But, I have a bit more empathy today. I was really hungry yesterday and scared to spend any of the little money I had on food. It was raining but I walked because I didn't want to spend any money on public transport. While I was scared of the unknown, I would have been absolute terrified if I didn't have a safe place to stay. So... if a couple hundred euros can help someone not feel like that - even for a short while - it's a small price to pay.

(A special thank you to everyone, literally around the world, who offered assistance. It's been a long 48 hrs but it's all resolved)

No comments:

Post a Comment